Guatemala '11 / '12

Thursday, June 28, 2012

HELPS Trip #5: Sololá

On the morning of June 14, we departed from Jaime's one-room tin-roof apartment for our very last medical mission in Guatemala. On this occasion, Justin and I would join Connor and some of the HELPS staff for the advanced team set-up at the site. On the Thursday prior to every medical mission, member of HELPS arrive on site with three massive moving trucks to set up the hospital. Meals, which are all outings to local eateries, are paid for by the HELPS organization. This time around, the crew included Connor, Caesar, Henry, Luis, Jaime, Lucy, Carolina, and of course Justin and I. Several stout Guatemalans working on a moving team also assist in the set-up process.
unpacking the truck
Advanced team was very laid back. When we had finished our tasks for the day, we had time to relax, catch up on reading, and enjoy each other's company with a nice meal. I practiced my ukulele and caught up on blogging as best I could. Reality set back in when the team's luggage and equipment arrived Saturday night. Lots more tireless work was still ahead.
Jaime salutes

Of all the medical teams that I've seen in the last six months, the June 2012 Sololá was most organized and efficient in their service. Their equipment arrived in uniform dark green and yellow bags, matching the university colors of their home state of Oregon. They called themselves the "HELPS Cascade Medical Team" and even had t-shirts to prove it. The team leaders were a husband-wife combo. Robert and Tamara Orlando kept systematic attention to each section of the hospital, making it evident that they were seasoned HELPS volunteer veterans. The team they led was efficient, but smaller than other teams. No dentists showed, and a majority of the clinic doctors were Guatemalan, an uncommon occurrence for many HELPS teams. Not only that, but many of the American doctors and surgeons had a great grasp on Spanish. With a full group of high school translators on their first HELPS trip, this left Justin and I fairly useless as translators.

Contron.. doin' work!
With my unofficial status moved from "translator" to "floater," I tried to keep as busy as possible during the week while still staying out of the way. I helped in the kitchen a bit, brought coffee to doctors and translators, filled empty water jugs, helped the McGyver (hilarious, awesome guy named Scott), and sometimes just followed Robert around to be sent on odd jobs. Justin, Connor, and I also made frequent trips into Sololá to pick up odds and ends for patients, doctors, and nurses alike. The week was also broken up by a "Guy's night out" on Thursday in Panajachel for Justin's birthday. It was good to get a brief break from the small convention center the HELPS site was operating on. After a night of good cheers and beers, Justin departed for his next Habitat for Humanity team. Before I knew it, Connor and I were collapsing the same shelves we had stacked a week earlier. The week ended with the traditional Domino's Pizza dinner on Saturday night (not nearly as delicious as all the scrumptious food the incredible kitchen crew cooked up for us all week, thank you "Chicky Café"!). 

By Sunday afternoon, Connor and I were helping all the Guatemalan movers unpack all the trucks. Prior to leaving, Connor and I got one last photo with our motley work crew (see below).

Luis, Yo, Jaime, Connor, Ceasar
I spent my last moments with Connor back at the Weller's, our favorite Guatemalan home. A few young lady translators (thank you Melanie, Nicole, and Georgia!) from the trip made a quick visit to Ceci's house to say their final goodbyes to Connor. 

It was tough to see Connor go, but like Casey, I know I'll see him again. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Soon enough it'll be time to visit my favorite TEXAS friend. Cheers Contron, and thanks for all the good times!


No comments:

Post a Comment