Guatemala '11 / '12

Sunday, June 3, 2012

HELPS Trip #4 - Huehuetenango

Our return journey from Mexico was swift and semi-smooth. With two non air-conditioned nights on the road (one in Belize City and one in the dirty one-corner town of Raxhjua, at the most sketchy hotel I've ever stayed at), we were thrilled to finally be back home in our own beds. It wasn't for too long, however, that the twisting, turning, tumbulo-riddled roads of Guatemala called for us once more. We arrived back at the monastery on Friday May 4, and by Sunday May 6, we were packed and ready for another HELPS medical mission. The trip to Huehuetenango was shorter than Tejutla; Justin and I were thrilled to make it to base camp just before a delicious lasagna and garlic bread dinner was served.

Monday Outreach.. up in the hills
The Huehue HELPS medical mission of May 2012 was held in the Guatemalan Army's military base, a location occupying quite a few square miles in Huehuetenango. We dined and slept in military-style barracks and utilized the Army base's large, strangely planned hospital to carry out treatment of patients. During the whole week, we were constantly witness to Guatemalan Army Personnel marching, chanting, singing, and even spontaneous running. We even received a hearty welcome with our national anthem (excuse my terrible singing) from the base's commander, marching band, and residences.

Mansi helps child patient
My work week was split into three tasks. On the Monday, I had the great pleasure of going on an outreach team to a rural community in the hills just outside of Huehue. There, I helped translate for Mansi, a new, young aspiring practitioner, along with several other team members, including my first introduction to the dental team I would work with later in the week. The outreach day was stressful (as most Monday outreaches are). We had one woman who seemed to be ready to give birth to a baby any second, and another small girl who wouldn't wake up for like 20 minutes from the deepest sleep I've ever seen. Tensions also ran high with the crowded line, and our departure was hastened by the onslaught of heavy rain. Regardless, lots of great work was done, and we left a lot of folks feeling a lot happier and a lot more healthy.
Cecilia at Triage
During Tuesday and Wednesday, I took a post at one of the more difficult positions for HELPS, Triage (for those who missed previous posts, this is the process by which patients are admitted into the hospital. I recorded basic information about their sickness or disposition before admitting them to a specific line, such as OB/GYN, Eyes, Dental, or General Clinic). During my triage ventures, I got the great pleasure of meeting the gracious Cecilia Weller, a repeat volunteer from Guatemala City. Cecilia and her family have had a long history with HELPS, and have even offered HELPS volunteers such as Connor and Casey to stay at their house in Guatemala City before a flight or just to pass the time. They take the "Mi casa es su casa" statement very seriously, and since this post I have already enjoyed the benefits of their generous hospitality.

Myself, Cecilia, Connor, Casey after certificate ceremony at the end of the week
Dr. Rusk at work
Another "NEW CAR!!" recipient
On Thursday and Friday, I was blessed with the opportunity to work with the "it's a family affair!" dental team from Selma, California- Dr. Glenn Rusk, Terry Rusk, and Susan Grubbs. After observing Dr. Rusk on several extraction and examination of teeth (including the application of anesthesia via injection), I had what many might call a "moment of clarity." Would I ever want to be a dentist? I've never been scared of the dentist, and blood in the month doesn't seem to bother me as much. By the end of my two days with this kind team, I would have been ready to try start applying anesthesia to patient's gums, a previously impossible thought for me. When I let the team know of my newest peak interest, they only fed the fire. Dr. Rusk was so encouraging and convincing of his beloved profession (sentiments that I've already received from my own dentist, Dr. Thomas Meschke in Chaska) and even offered to say that he'd help any way he could.
Aside from the fun "becoming a dentist" discussion (which to this day is still rattling around in my head), we enjoyed playing each other music from our iPod speakers, distributing toys to fearful child patients, and observing how tough the old women were in comparison to the burly Army men that winced when receiving local anesthesia. I hadn't formed such a great relationship with a medical team since the St. Cloud Dental team back in January… maybe I DO need to think about this dentistry thing.

Terry gives Dr. Rusk some tension relief before starting next patient
Most of this month's medical team hailed from California, most commonly from Fresno, Bakersfield or Santa Monica. 
 The team was truly fun to be around. The kitchen staff knew me all to well… I couldn't help but get labeled as "going back for seconds" guy, which I was playfully teased about every time I entered the kitchen. I've never seen such a big team before, yet the cohesiveness remained impressive. Prayer and song were included in every breakfast, and I even filled out a questionnaire at the end of the week that critiqued the team's performance. On Saturday, after collapsing several dozen shelves and stacking chairs, the whole group enjoyed a few skits put on by different teams in the hospital. Below is the Huehue Dental Team's skit . I'll never forget that great crew!




No comments:

Post a Comment