Guatemala '11 / '12

Friday, February 3, 2012

There and Back Again… My Brief Return to the Frozen Tundra


9:58p.m… Christmas Eve night. The Minneapolis airport is comfortably silent. Workers and overnight, family-deprived travelers stare blankly at CNN's footage of Rockerfeller Square. I find myself itching with excitement as I whisk by them. When I find myself in a corridor unaccompanied by other Samsonite-toters, I break into long, eager strides. 

10:03p.m… Baggage Claim 3 is silent and empty like the barren Minnesotan landscape outside. Just as I begin to feel impatient, sirens ring, and a big conveyor belt turns slowly. I have little time to day dream about riding the conveyor belt around the terminal (the airport is empty) before seeing the first bag spit out onto the black, rotating magic carpet… mine. 

10:08p.m… Green Parking Lot A is relatively empty, and it is not hard to find where my parents planted the getaway car. I retrieve the magnetized box from the bottom the the SUV's axel, and struggle with anticipation to open it. As I enter the familiar family vehicle, I carelessly toss aside the expected freshly back chocolate cookies. No time for treats.. I've got a family to surprise.

10:19p.m… Highway 5 is my racetrack. I flirt with exceeding the speed limit while I marvel over my remarkable efficiency of travel. While no snow falls outside, the joyous feeling of the occasion seemed almost visible. 

10:33p.m… The Joyce Household doorbell rings. As I squat underneath a gift-wrapped 4 foot tall box, I thanked God that I was given the privilege of spending this Christmas with my family.

---

As some of you may or may not know, I was privileged with the chance to return home and surprise several family members and friends. While I had not originally planned on returning to Minnesota at all, I am very glad I made the trip. It gave me a chance to catch up with everyone, especially a specific family member and family friend who have recently encountered grave illness. Please keep Grandpa and Jean in your prayers!

Since the planning of the trip in early November, the only people (with few exceptions) who knew I was coming back were my parents. It was agreed that I would surprise EVERYONE… even my sisters. So, as you can imagine, when Elise and Regina lifted up the big box on the doorstep on Christmas Eve, they were shocked. 

My visit back to Minnesota was all I could've hoped for. I surprised many of my aunts, uncles, cousins, and saw many priceless shocked looks from my friends (after careful recollection, Megan Harr, Nora Berens, and Ryan Miller are the winning reactions). During New Year's Eve, I was able to surprise and hang out with many of my friends at my favorite Minnesota getaway in the world… The LoonInn. My friends Kylie and David even reversed surprised me… it was wonderful. Many thanks to Tom Loonan and family, especially to Bob Loonan for letting us the use of his wonderful "ManCave Mansion."

While I won't leave you with tales from MN as they may be familiar to you, I'll leave you with a few pictures from the Loon Inn. 

LoonInn, Early Morning

Many arrived on New Year's Eve

No T.V., Internet, Just manly things like fireplaces and beer

Proud American


I apologize if I wasn't able to visit with you while I was back. I made a specific priority to spend plenty of time with family. If I missed you and I shouldn't have… please send me a message! No matter how small I promise to send something back..
Anyway, I wanted to update all of you what I did for that time. I'm currently back in Guatemala, and I've only just had time to write down the next episode of my tales. More blogs to come very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment